Sunday, September 25, 2011

Grocery Cart: 1, Maggie: 0

Maggie picked a fight with a grocery cart on Monday and lost.  I'm still not sure exactly what happened.  She had her back to me and was leaning over looking at something on the bottom shelf.  She was perpendicular to the cart by the front corner, and I thought both of her hands were in front of her.  I had just put the last item in the cart and was ready to head to the cashier.  I said, "Let's go" and started pushing the cart forward.  She started crying and holding her finger.  I assumed I must have bumped it or somehow run over it with the cart.  When I picked her up to comfort her, I was shocked to see that her finger was cut all the way under her little finger's finger nail, which left it dangling by a little piece of skin.  (Sorry for the visual, it was pretty nasty.)  Luckily, they were doing flu shots that day so we were right by some band-aids.  I put her finger back together and tried to figure out what the best thing to do would be.  I decided we'd hurry and pay (I wasn't about to leave my groceries, just to do it all over again another day) and head to the doctor's office.  I was pretty sure they could do stitches if they needed to without sending us up to the ER.  I feel kind of bad for paying first, but I knew it wasn't a major time sensitive issue, and the band-aid calmed her down some (we still got quite a few looks though).

I'm always getting after her for walking too close to the cart or in front of it where I can't see her.  The whole time she was crying, "I'm a bad girl, I'm a bad girl Mommy."  I've never called her a bad girl and I kept telling her it was an accident, but it broke my heart that she was hurt and she thought she was in trouble.  I'm sure it was quite the scene.

I couldn't think straight for a minute and I literally had to stop and think about which way I needed to turn out of the parking lot to get to the doctor's office.  Once we got there they thought her finger might be broken because of how the finger nail had popped out, but the x-rays didn't show any fractures.  She ended up getting four stitches to hold her nail on so that her finger isn't so tender.  He said a new nail will grow in under the injured one.  Thank goodness they say she'll still have a finger nail.  I thought I ruined her finger for good!  The only thing I can figure is that when I started pushing the cart forward, her finger must have got pulled into the gap between the wheel and the metal bracket, which ended up cutting it.  Anyway, she did really good at the doctor's office considering all the trauma she was going through.  The nurses just passed Lane around outside the exam room so that I could hold and comfort Maggie while they took care of her.  She kept asking me where Lane was.  Then she even fell asleep while they were doing her stitches.  Poor little thing.  The nurses were all in love with Lane and were kind of sad to give him back.  We get to go back on Wednesday to get her stitches out.  We'll see how that goes.  That was an exciting way to start the week out.

The only other exciting thing that happened this week was a short visit from Jonathan's parents and aunt and uncle, Max and Connie on Wednesday.  They stopped by on their way home from seeing the Bar J Wranglers in Jackson.  It was a short visit, but it was still nice to see them.

Jonathan started spud harvest yesterday, so we'll be having lots of longs days around here.  I'm not too excited about feeling like a widow, but I guess the end of spud harvest gives me something to look forward too, right? :)

Photobucket

No comments: