My blood will get tested next week to see just how in the clear I really am, but until then I will be celebrating :)
Just for the record, Lane is a complete opposite of the baby Maggie was and it's really starting to wear me down. He gets really fussy just when I am ready to hit the sack, and it lasts for an hour or two. Then he doesn't sleep very well after that and I'm so frustrated that I have a hard time calming down to fall asleep. He doesn't like to be swaddled, he's not a big fan of gas drops, he wants to be held ALL the time, and he's refluxy/colicky. What's a mother to do? I know in the long run, this is only but a moment, but it's sure hard to keep that in mind everyday when I'm exhausted, run down, and at the end of my rope. I'm not wanting to complain, I'm just frustrated because I want to enjoy my baby and instead I find myself getting more and more flustered. Then I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot because he's probably picking up on my sour mood and getting more fussy because of it. It's a vicious cycle. I'm hoping that my ranting here will help me feel better and clear my mind a little. Maggie was such an easy baby and I feel bad to keep comparing him to his sister. I don't want to be one of those parents that says, "why can't you be more like..." I suppose I was expecting another easy baby since Maggie was, so the fact that I got my hopes up is probably half the problem.
I came across these two quotes on my friend's blog that have helped a lot, so I think I'll be reading them often until my life calms down a little:
-Thomas S. Monson
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow ups as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
-Ruth Hulbert Hamilton, 1958

2 comments:
I remember that inner battle all too well. All my babies were high maintenance and fussy all the time, and I was a complete mess. As you said, it does get better, but only one or two bad nights can really make a person want to give up, so it's hard to remember that. I'm sure you are doing better than you think. Those quotes are perfect to read in times of insanity.
And hooray for no more shots!
I'm sorry Lane is colicky. Both my girls were super colicky/fussy at one point or another, so I feel for you. It's not easy. You've probably heard these suggestions, but I thought I would mention them because they worked for me. With Rain, we would pump her legs to help any gas bubbles work through her system. But the real lifesaver for me was Hyland's Colic Tablets. They are homeopathic, 100% natural, so you can't really overdose them, no side effects, and dissolve instantly in their mouth. Sometimes Rain would fall asleep immediately after I gave her some if she had been screaming for awhile because she would just relax and was out like a light. The Mylicon gas drops never worked for me, or the gripe water, which wasn't as portable as the tablets because of the glass bottle and the need for refrigeration. I used the tablets for both my girls and they worked wonders for me. I hope things ease up. Sending happy thoughts your way.
Post a Comment