Since I've never been around colic before I kept thinking that maybe I was just being paranoid. If a baby cries because of colic, how do you know when they're crying for a different reason? Thoughts like that kept running through my mind and I finally decided it was mother's intuition, not paranoia, to feel like something else was bothering him. Plus Jonathan was feeling the same way so that helped validate my decision.
We brought him to the doctor on Friday and they still didn't find anything wrong with him. He's been taking Prevacid for his reflux and we both had a feeling that the Prevacid might be the culprit. The label from the pharmacist said not to stop giving it to him without consulting with our doctor first. So we consulted. He prescribed him a different (much cheaper) medicine for his reflux if we feel he needs it and told us that we could take him off the Prevacid.
Oh My! He has been a completely different baby! And I feel like a whole new woman! Last night I was actually able to get more than three hours of sleep--in fact I probably got a total of seven. (I've been so sleep deprived that our friend at the doctor's office asked me if I had a black eye. I've always had dark veins under my eyes, but they are much more noticeable when I'm tired.)
Lane still has extremely forceful spit-up--so powerful that it even shoots out of his nose. Sorry if that was too much information. We haven't given him any of the new medicine for it though. I guess I'm afraid it will make him cranky again. His spit-up is mostly just an inconvenience. It doesn't seem to irritate him and it usually only happens once a day. I can live with an inconvenience, but I wasn't sure how much longer I could live with an extremely fussy baby and no sleep.
It's funny how a good night's sleep and a happy baby can make you feel so much more confident about being a mother.

2 comments:
I'm so glad you were able to figure out the culprit!!! I am happy you got some sleep too! You deserve it!
I am so excited that you figured out the problem. Poor little guy and poor sleep deprived mommy. Hopefully it will continue to get better!
Post a Comment