Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eerie and Short-lived

Yesterday a brush fire started on the desert west of where we live. The dry vegetation, coupled with constant strong winds, has resulted in a fire that has consumed 109,000 acres (roughly 170 square miles) so far!
The wind carried all the smoke eastward to where we live. The sky was one of the most eerie, yet strangely beautiful sights I have ever seen. It looked like a watercolored conglomeration of almost every color imaginable depending on where you looked; olive green, dark purple, and mustard yellow are some strange colors to witness in the sky! Mostly it was full of different shades of red, orange, and brown though. Everything seemed to be a different color under the light of the multi-colored sky. It was completely surreal.

The most stunning view was at the Tetons, which remained crystal-clear despite all the smoke and dust in the air surrounding them. Another remarkable sight was the sun, which at one point was a deep rusty red color and at another point was a neon-pinkish-reddish-orange color which as you can tell cannot be put into words :)





On two completely separate notes...

Maggie apparently dislikes spiders as much as I do. The other night she (and I) had a terrible night and I could not get her to fall back asleep, which is unusual unless we're traveling. Anyway, sometime during the course of the night a spider was crawling on her wall near her crib so I grabbed a shoe, squished it, and cleaned it up with a tissue. Now every time we go into her room she points at the wall where the spider was and starts whining. I tell her, "It's okay, the spider's gone. I killed it." Then she points and whines some more until finally I can convince her there is no longer a spider to worry about. Maybe I'm all wrong. Maybe she likes spiders so much that she's mad at me for killing it. Who knows?

And unfortunately, while we're on the subject of killing things...Maggie's kitten expired all of its nine-lives prematurely. It got a little too stressed over the transition and it stopped eating and drinking. I was force feeding it with a medicine dropper and doing everything I could to keep it alive, but I guess it was too little too late--it gave up the ghost this morning. Luckily Maggie is not quite old enough to understand death (unless I'm all wrong again) and hadn't become completely attached, so we didn't have any meltdowns. That still leaves the scratching problem in the wall though, so I think I'll start looking for a slightly more resilient feline critter...that, and lay out some Decon.

Rest in peace little kitty. Sorry I couldn't keep you alive.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Ainsley said...

it looks so beautiful. even though it is smoke... and totally sad. great pictures.

janessa, stop posting pictures of idaho... i am ready to pack up my house and move... and be your neighbor.

Vickie Robertson said...

Oh Janessa, I'm so sorry about the kitten. It was probably my fault... trying to find it a home because I was afraid it would die here. I would offer you another one, but the rest of them disappeared, and I can't seem to find them!! If you would like one of my "kind of wild" kittens, you are welcomed to one of them, but they are not as kid friendly. On other note, I love the pictures you took. I wish mine would have turned out, but I guess I'm not very good with the camera.