Friday, July 16, 2010

Because I'm Curious, and Because You Asked

I only picked one good radish from my garden this year. The rest grew really long tap roots that never formed a bulb shape. They were also really fibrous. I tried to cut one and the whole outside just peeled off and the inside looked like young wood. They also bolted extremely fast even though I'm pretty sure I planted a variety that was supposed to be slow to seed. I figured it was just the variety I planted so I made a mental note not to plant that variety again. But then I was talking to my friend and she said all of her radishes did the same thing. So now I'm curious why this happened and if any of you had the same problem this year. We decided it must have been something about the weather. I have a hard time blaming it on the frost because radishes are cool season plants and tolerate frost. I made sure I watered them frequently so that they didn't go pithy. So why did they still end up pithy and useless?

It's not a big loss. Out of everything in the garden I like the taste of radishes the least, but I do think they're fun to grow so I always grow a few. Cherry tomatoes on the other hand are one of my favorites and I've been a happy camper because I've had a couple ripe each day for me to pick and eat. They never make it into a salad, even if I have several plants.
I've had a few requests for a picture of me and my large belly...so here you go. This is me at 30 weeks. I guess pregnancy is really the only time to be "excited" about a big belly, so you might as well take a few pictures, right?
This baby is a squirmy little thing. Maggie was an active baby, but in a different way. This one feels like he's doing flips all the time, whereas Maggie just used my ribcage for punching bag. I can't say I feel this baby kick a lot, but he is always moving.

So far I've only gained 13 pounds, which is a much different story than when I was pregnant with Maggie. People keep telling my belly is little, which is okay, but I don't feel little. I've had a few people tell me I look too little--that one does bother me a little because then I start to wonder if something could be wrong. Pregnant ladies already have enough to worry about without someone's remarks sending them into a tizzy.

I found out yesterday that a friend of mine from college just lost her baby. She was only a few weeks ahead of me in her pregnancy. I'm not sure what happened, but she was also expecting a boy and it was their first. I have been thinking about her a lot and wishing I could do something to ease her burden. I can't shake the worry or sorrow from my mind. I can't fathom the pain of losing a child, but I look up to and admire the strength and example of those who have. I'm not sure why I'm writing all this here, besides to say that I'm thankful for the knowledge that families can be together forever. Knowing that I'd be able to be with my baby again if something ever did happen takes a little of the worry away.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jill said...

First of all, you look fabulous!! I gotta say, a 13 pound weight gain is definitely something to be proud of...I am climbing quickly over 30!! Yikes!

Secondly, I'm sorry for your friend that has lost a baby. Hopefully she find comfort in the knowledge of eternal families...it certainly makes you grateful for the things we have!

Anonymous said...

Janessa!!!! You look so cute!!! I had no idea you that far a long. It's coming up so fast!!!! I am excited for you and wish you luck with everything! You are so blessed!

Ben and Kelli said...

You look darling! Good job on the weight too... And if the Dr. says everything looks ok then don't worry when people say you've gained too little!
Very sad for your friend, it's always heartbreaking when things like that happen. From the number I've seen like that at my work I agree wholeheartedly with you about the gospel! It's the one thing that makes everything bearable in the midst of ENORMOUS heartache. Sorry she has to experience that though!!