So here's the summary: Memorial Day weekend was fun. We went down and visited Jonathan's family. I had a backache but I wrote it off as pregnancy nerve pain.
Then we came home and the pain got worse and included my upper thigh, groin, and hip. I felt like I had torn a muscle and sprained my hip, but it still seemed to fit the description of sciatica so I was never too concerned. I was just being a baby that my back hurt.
Then yesterday I could barely walk without writhing in pain. I was tempted to go straight to the chiropractor, but I decided to make a doctor's appointment instead. My normal doctor was pretty sure I had a pinched nerve, but had to leave the appointment early to perform a c-section. So the nurse that took over said my lab results came back as having a bad bladder infection and thought the back pain might be from that. The plan was to get the bladder infection cleared up and then resolve any lingering pain after that. They gave me an antibiotic shot to jump start the process and wrote out a prescription for an oral antibiotic.
I've had bladder infections before and though they were painful, the pain was nothing like what I was experiencing. I have never had sciatica though, so I still assumed I had a pinched nerve on top of the infection.
Last night the pain was still awful so I took a hot shower to try to ease it. At that point in time I realized my left leg was very swollen, reddish blue, and hard to the touch. I was 99% positive I had a blood clot. So we pulled Maggie out of her crib and ran to the E.R. To make a story short, my diagnoses was correct. I have a pretty extensive blood clot in my left leg. Apparently the baby has been putting enough pressure on my veins that the blood flow has been restricted to the point that the blood has been pooling in my vein instead of circulating. I'm on an injectable blood thinner now and I have to wear compression stockings. (No shorts and sandals for me this summer...unless I want to look like a fool.) I was released from the hospital this afternoon, which was earlier than expected. And I don't have to be on bed rest like I was expecting to be. I'll have to stay on the blood thinners and stockings at least until I have the baby. I'll be good to go as long as none of the clot makes its way to my lungs.
The good news is that the baby is healthy and still very active. And I'm feeling pretty good as long as I'm on pain medicine. I'll just be taking it easy for a while. So long for this pregnancy being smooth sailing.

5 comments:
oh that does not sound fun. i'm so so so sorry!!! thank goodness for things like blood thinner and compression stockings, right?
i agree, idaho is for sure gods country (just not in the winter.)
I'm so glad you're okay!! That's very scary! My sister-in-law just had her baby and she had to wear those compression stockings... unfortunately you're right about shorts looking bad! But they work as tights! So at least it's not ONLY pants! You could wear a summer dress and still look darling! Good luck, I hope everything goes well and nothing else bad happens! So glad you're alright!
No fun, but glad you caught it early.
I'm so glad you caught that. I probably would have been slow to diagnosing that one. What a bummer. I hope you feel better and the rest of the pregnancy is "smooth sailing". If I were closer, I would take Maggie for walks with Rain so you could have a break. Alas, woe is us.
Wow, Hang in there! Good Luck with the next few months. We will be thinking of you!!
Post a Comment