Monday, May 17, 2010

I Forgot my Camera...Again

Sorry this post is picture-less. I forgot to bring my camera.

Over the weekend we ventured down to Utah for a few family events. The trip began with a lot of screaming. Maggie would not fall asleep in the car even though she needed a nap. Instead she screamed the whole time begging to get out of her car seat and begging for entertainment. I tried all of her usual toys, but she refused to play with any of them. Kids these days!

Aside from our noisy passenger, the trip went well. We even hit less traffic than usual--that's unusual for driving through Salt Lake on a Friday just before rush hour.

My parents are moving out of the house they've lived in for over thirty years so event number one was to offer some assistance. The new house is in the same neighborhood as the old house. They have all the necessities moved into the new house and are living there, but they still have some things to move out of the old house. When everything is moved out, the old house is going to get new carpet and a few other remodels. Then my sister and her family are going to move in. It was a little weird to go "home" to a different house than the one I grew up in; however, the new house is larger, newer, and roomier..It made visiting a little easier since Maggie could have her own room and sleep without any distractions...and we didn't have to sleep on an air mattress.

I didn't feel like I helped a whole lot with the moving process, but Jonathan most definitely did! I was more of a baby-sitter since most of the stuff we were doing could not involve Maggie getting into stuff or being in the way. Plus no one wanted me doing any heavy lifting since I'm pregnant. Despite my lack of help a lot still got accomplished.

After everyone was worn out I went with Julieanne and my mom to run a few errands at Target and Home Depot. I made sure to make a quick run to the dollar store (in the same parking lot as Target) so I could pick up some new entertainment for Maggie. I wasn't sure I could handle listening to her scream the whole way home. Am I a mean mom?

On Sunday I got to see a childhood friend for a few seconds. I felt bad we didn't get to catch up more, but we were on our way out the door. It was still nice to at least see you Lindsey :)

We said goodbye to my family to meet up with Jonathan's family for event number two. Our niece was getting blessed. Thankfully for us they planned it the same weekend we were already planning on being down there, so it saved us another [loud] trip to Utah. Maggie doesn't usually get to see both sets of grandparents on the same day so that was kind of fun! The blessing was nice and it was fun to see everyone there. After we ate and mingled for a while we hit the road.

Maggie still screamed some, but she did much better than on the way down. She still fought taking a nap even though she was obivously tired. I decided it was going to take me ignoring her screaming for her to realize she wasn't going to get her way. She screamed for a while, but eventually she gave up and just stared out the window until her head started nodding. She finally fell asleep when we were a little over half way home and slept until we were about 25 minutes from home. Gone are the days she would sleep almost the entire trip. She used to be such a good traveler until recently. I'm not sure what happened besides the fact that she's older and more social. Maybe she'll do better this fall when she has a little friend in the back with her :)

It was nice to see and spend time with so much family over the weekend, but as it usually goes it's also really nice to be home again.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jill said...

I remember that age was really hard to travel with Jack...that's when I splurged on a portable DVD player and boy was it worth the 80 bucks!! If you travel a lot, it will save your life!

How fun that you got to catch up with linds! I might be planning a trip down there in a couple of weeks...too bad our trips didn't over lap!