We outgrew our kitchen table, so we've been looking around for a more spacious option. We found a huge solid wood table for $25 in the local college's bulletin board. We sent an e-mail and were surprised to find out that the owner of the table was someone we knew from a previous ward. Long story short, she delivered the table and ended up just giving it to us. I was willing to pay $25 (which in itself was a bargain), but they were just happy to have it gone. Without the leaf in, the table comfortably seats six with room to spare. With the leaf in I'm betting we'll be able to fit up to ten around the table. (We don't currently have the leaf because they couldn't get to it in their shed. They said they'd bring it by as soon as they could)
The table has some water marks and heat damage and the varnish is peeling, but that's nothing that can't be fixed. It's not the most "in style" table, but it's very sturdy and we all fit around it--that's what matters most, right?
I've started peeling some of the old finish off. The wood beneath is gorgeous. Here's a sneak preview. It's really going to look like a whole different table when I'm done. I'll post more pictures when it's finished.

4 comments:
OOOH!! I love a good deal, and a good refinish even more!! It looks great...good thing it's almost garage sale season, then you can find some fun chairs!
I have seen a lot of people just collect all different types of chairs, then paint them the same color and put matching chair pads on them. That would be so cute in your country home!!
Wow! You're doing a great job. Great potential underneath. I can't wait to see the finished product.
That is fantastic! I love a good bargain. I think it is going to turn out FABULOUS!!!!
I need a new kitchen table too! but I think that was a great idea! and if for some reason you find that the wood finish doesnt look good you could always paint it a dark color like what is in style now and then rough up all the painted edge to give it that rustic look and do the same with chairs. that way too you dont have to worry about finding chairs that are the same color of wood. but great work cant wait to see the finished peice!
Post a Comment