Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What a Wonderful Life!

These past few days have been great—the kind of days that really make you sit down and count your blessings and wonder why you’ve been given so much. On Thursday we headed to Preston. We were able to spend time with family members that we don’t get to see very often because they live in Florida. I can’t believe how much the kids have grown up! Of course our trip included going to the rodeo and it was a lot of fun as usual. Sorry I have no pictures from it. On Friday the brothers all went and pushed cows further up on their range. I think Jonathan had a good time being with his brothers. We drove back home Friday night.
On Saturday morning we met up with my sister Julieanne and her family. They came up to visit us and pick huckleberries. At least I think they came to visit us…they might have just come for the berries:o)

As a side note, summer began with a lot of talk about how the huckleberries were going to be huge and plentiful because of the wet winter. Then the word on the street the past few weeks has been that there won’t be any huckleberries because of the late frost that we got. Our June 11th snow storm and frost came right when the berries were all in bloom. I started asking friends if they had found any, and everyone said no. Jonathan and I checked the berries a few weeks ago, but they were all green, scarce, and small. I was getting really depressed that I might not get any huckleberries again this year. (Which also means we'll have bears in the valley again)
I have to admit that I knew there was the possibility of getting no berries when Scott and Julieanne came to visit. I was afraid that if I told them the bad news then they wouldn’t come anymore. So I left it as my little secret. Jonathan and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to go look for ourselves when they got here. Scouting out a patch is half the fun anyway. Boy, am I glad we didn’t give up when we heard about the frost killing them all. The first patch we found was pretty pathetic, but it did have berries. I think I picked about ¼ cup in half an hour. We decided to go look for more somewhere else. The second patch was a little better, but after picking there we thought we could still find better so we moved on again. The third patch was great! I wish we would have spent all of our time there because by the time we got there we were all ready for lunch and the men and kids were getting impatient (at least my man was getting a little impatient—I guess I shouldn’t speak for Scott). Anyway, I wish I could have got more, but I was satisfied with what I got since I didn’t have high hopes of finding any! All together I picked a little over three cups. Julieanne came in at a little under four cups. I’ll have enough for one pie with one cup left over for muffins or pancakes. They were so beautiful when I washed them that I had to take a picture--I'm lame I know. Maybe I’ll find someone to go with me again so I can get more. I’m too chicken to go by myself because I’m scared of coming across a bear. So if any of my Idaho friends are reading this, give me a call.
After picking berries we went out to eat at Frontier Pies. It was pretty good, but the service was a little slow. When we got home and checked the mail we had a surprise letter from our friends that we met while in Nevada. We thought we had lost contact with them. Last we had heard was that they were moving, but we didn’t know where. So we sent them a letter in April in hopes that it would get forwarded to them. We never heard anything back though, until Saturday. It was really good to hear from them. They live in Arizona now and their expecting another baby in September.

Saturday evening our friends Merrill and Jeanne were in town so they came over for supper. They are good friends that we met at school. We haven’t seen them for three years or so. They came over at 6:00 and we all ate together and caught up. Their kids and Scott and Julieanne’s kids were cute playing together. It was really good to see them, and hopefully it won’t be three years before we see them again.

Scott and Julieanne left after Sunday dinner (or Sunday leftovers…call it what you want). It was fun to have them up here. I’m glad we were able to find some huckleberries to make their trip worth it.

Sunday was the two month mark until my due date. Yikes! Where has the time gone? Our little bundle will be here before we know it. I hope we’re ready:o) I am now going to the doctor every two weeks and everything is still going well. This might not be funny to anyone else, but on Saturday she was pushing on my ribs again while Jonathan was driving. So I said, “Maggie, you need to be a good girl and stop pushing on Mommy’s ribs.” Right after that she wound up and kicked me hard right in my rib! I couldn’t help but to yell OUCH! So, apparently our daughter is already not very obedient. Jonathan says she’s getting her punches in while she can.

Anyway, that catches you up on our lives. Sorry it was so long.

No comments: