Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nature Vs. Nurture

Nature picture #1:
The kids and I went with Jonathan to feed today.  We waited in the truck while he drove a different truck down to the bull's pasture to feed them.  When he got back he said, "You should look at the pictures I just took with my phone."  I gave him the evil eye because it seems like whenever I end up waiting in the truck for something seemingly mundane, I end up missing something incredible, so naturally, I wondered what I missed this time.  When I looked at the picture, I think the word that escaped my mouth was "Yikes!"

That is Jonathan's hand print, mind you, and he has average sized hands for an adult male.  The tracks were a few days old, but still, it's not too comforting to see.  Wolves have been seen in the area pretty much every winter, but this was the first sign of them this winter...and hopefully it's the last, though I'm not going to hold my breath.  Maybe Santa should have brought Jonathan a gun!

Nurture Pictures #1 and #2:
The kids were happily playing in the living room and I went into the other room to check my e-mail.  I had left the box of Rice Krispies on the kitchen counter, easily within reach with the assist of a chair for my partners in crime.  When I came back into the room, this is what I saw.  Rice Krispies.  Every where.  Maggie was throwing them up in the air like confetti, and Lane was eating them off the floor.  Did I mention they were everywhere?  I had to take some pictures of course. I find it hard to discipline in situations like these because it's funny and frustrating at the same time.  It's best to laugh it off, but you also want them to understand that it's not something that's okay to do. I think I sent mixed messages to them by taking pictures and giggling about it, and then telling them that "Mommy's not very happy about what you did","throwing food on the floor ruins it and we don't waste food", "Maggie, stop walking all over them and grinding them into the carpet," blah blah blah.  Thank heavens for vacuum cleaners :)  

Nature Picture #2:
The starter went out in our car and I've been without a vehicle for a week. I never knew how much my sanity depended on being able to go somewhere if I felt like it.  If the car had been working I probably would have stayed home most of the week anyway, but I guess it's the feeling of being trapped that got to me. I just had to get out of the house, plus we needed stamps, we hadn't visited the horses for a while, it was a nice day, and I hoped some vitamin d would lift my spirits, so we ventured out for a walk.  By the time we got home, we had walked nearly a mile and Maggie walked most of it. I'm out of shape to begin with, and I was dumb enough to wear toning shoes for the walk.  I tell you what: my legs we sore the next day!  Nature's cruel that way.


Nurture Pictures #3 and #4:
Not much to say here, besides I just can't get enough of their cute little faces. I crocheted Lane this hat for Christmas because his coat doesn't have a hood.  He never wants to wear it, but I think he was cold enough this time that he humored me :) Maggie loves "riding" on the saddle. If you count her rides, she has ridden the saddle WAY more than Jonathan or I have!

Nature Picture #3:
I have never been a huge morning person.  Don't get me wrong; I love the satisfaction of getting up early and accomplishing a lot, I love seeing the sun rise, I love the feeling of a clean start, and it seems like I always resolve to get up earlier.  My love for sleep wins though.  I love the cozy feeling of just waking up and being able to doze back off if I want to (when that opportunity is taken from me I tend to be grouchy about it).  It's a will power issue with me, which is sometimes combined with a mother's desire for a good rest.  Anyway, Lane woke me up really early the other morning and I was so wishing I was still slumbering in the bed.  Then I watched the sky start to lighten and the sun rise through his window and I decided being up wasn't such a bad thing if that's what I got to witness, all be it, tired.     
So what's your vote in this classic debate?  Nature, or nurture?

p.s. I forgot to post this video.  Maggie got a Zhu Zhu Pet hamster from her cousin Kase for Christmas.  These two had a ball chasing it around the kitchen!  And best of all, I didn't have to clean up any droppings :)

Photobucket

No comments: