Sunday, October 23, 2011

Good News, Bad News

The good news is that after four weeks of practically being a widow, potato harvest is finally over!  Yipee!
The bad news is that Jonathan's crippled now.

First things first, though.  I cut Maggie's hair on Monday.  It was getting really long an unmanageable.  I wanted it long enough to braid, but short enough to prevent her from looking like an orphan if I didn't pull her hair up.  I'm pretty happy with the results.  I also did bangs since she tried to cut some herself when I was cutting Lane's hair and they needed to be blended in.

Before
After
I needed a hair cut too.  I've cut my own hair the last few times, but it is a major process to get the back even, and it took me about a week of touch-ups to get it exactly how I wanted it.  I'm really not too picky about my hair, especially since my curls hide a lot of flaws that would show up in straight hair.  I didn't want to take the time to cut it myself again though so I had my neighbor cut it on Tuesday.  She only charges ten bucks and she does a great job!  Plus, I love the feeling of someone else doing my hair.  It was so worth the ten dollars :)  I don't have before and after pictures of mine, sorry.  Nothing really changed, except it's a little shorter now with a few more layers.

I spent the rest of the week getting ready for the Relief Society's Super Saturday.  We made caramel and chocolate dipped pretzels for the centerpieces/dessert. I was in charge of the cake pops class, (as seen here) so I made some examples of those.  Plus somehow during all that I dehydrated all my apples and made tomato sauce with all my leftover tomatoes.  I still need to do something with all my carrots...

Super Saturday went better than I expected.  We didn't have a lot of people sign up for crafts, so I wasn't expecting very many to show up, but we got a good turn out.  Maggie kept trying to steal a cake pop and I kept telling her she couldn't eat them because they were for Relief Society.  The rest of the morning she kept saying, "I want to be in Relief Society, Mommy."  I wonder if she thinks we just eat chocolate all the time :)

On my way home from Super Saturday I noticed my friend's new puppy dead on the side of the road.  She was at Super Saturday so I knew she didn't know about it yet.  As much as I hated the thought of telling her, I thought it would be the right thing to call and tell her.  So I called, but she didn't answer.  As I was getting the kids out of the car she came around the corner real slow in her car.  Her little girl was with her and they were obviously looking for their dog.  Gulp.  A phone call would have been so much easier than face to face.  I waved and walked toward her.  I asked if she was looking for her dog and she said yes.  I lost it.  Her little girl was looking at me with such concern on her face and it tore my heart up into a million pieces that I had to tell them that it had been killed by a car.  That's a moment I don't want to relive.  At least I'm not the one that hit it though because then I would have felt a billion times worse!

I tried to relax and keep my mind off of it the rest of the day.  I got the kids in bed and was checking e-mails when Jonathan sent me a text from work around 9:00 and told me that I might need to come pick him up because he rolled his ankle and was really light headed.  He had stepped out of the tractor and landed in a rut, which wreaked havoc on his poor ankle.  He was pretty sure it was just a sprain, but it made a lot of noise when he rolled it.  Then he walked over to talk to their mechanic (who didn't see it happen) and he got dizzy and fell to the ground.  The mechanic was obviously confused and concerned.  Jonathan told him what happened and he drove him to his truck so he could come home.  He made it home and we were trying to decide what to do.  I was worried it could be broken since he had felt nauseous.  We didn't really want to pay for an E.R. visit, but felt it would be best to get it taken care of sooner than later if it was broken.  He was still pretty sure it was just a sprain, but he took his boot off and this is what we saw:

Yikes!  We decided we better play it safe and head to the E.R.  Thanks to our neighbors for staying with the kids so we didn't have to wake them up!  About an hour and a few x-rays later we found out it was just a sprain.  It's still a good thing we went in though, because he has really needed the pain medicine they prescribed for it.  It was apparently ankle night at the E.R.  They said they had someone else come in with a hurt ankle from getting off a tractor and when we were leaving someone was checking in with a hurt ankle from tripping at a haunted house.  Anyway, Jonathan can't walk and I've been playing nurse all day.  As bad as this sounds I'm disappointed that I finally have my husband back and all he can do is sit in the chair with his leg up.  The kids were sad too.  They just wanted to finally play with him.  Here's to a quick recovery :)

Jonathan's dad had a mishap with a horse and cow during round-up a few weeks ago and ended up breaking eight ribs and slightly puncturing a lung.  I didn't think he'd appreciate me blogging about it, so I didn't mention anything, but I think it's ok to mention now.  Hopefully.  He is thankfully recovering well.  I bring that up because between Lane being in the hospital, Maggie getting stitches on her finger, the news of Jonathan's dad, and now Jonathan spraining his ankle all within a few weeks of each other, I think this family has had enough medical issues to last us a while!

I think I covered it all...  I'm looking forward to slower paced week, except I really need to figure out what my kids are being for Halloween.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Star said...

Yikes! Yeah, I would've made Shane go to the ER to be safe too. Sometimes, you just never know if it's worse than you thought. I hope he mends quickly. Shane is not a very good patient... something about sitting around and doing nothing that bothers him. I'm sure Jonathan would express similar sentiments.

I still don't know about costumes either. Good luck, but I know they will be super cute! I'm debating cutting Rain's hair too. Hmmm. Maggie is adorable as always. Miss you!