One such peculiarity is my fear of being in a store when its closing. I have no idea where this came from, but if I had to guess, it would be from running errands late with my mom. She was a busy woman running a family and a home business, so most of the time we'd show up at the post office just as it was closing, and she had to go to the post office A LOT. They were used to this, and probably expected it. They'd let us in, then lock the doors behind us and we'd have to use the employee exit; I was always terrified I was going to get locked in the building overnight and have to use a parcel as a pillow.
One time in high school my mom and I were shopping for a dress for a school dance. My mom knew of my phobia, and it was late, but it was also the only time we could find to go dress shopping. The store announced they were getting ready to close while I was in the dressing room trying on the last few dresses. My anxiety levels were rising. My mom was outside the dressing room waiting. When I finished and came out, all of the lights had been turned off in the store except the security lights. My anxiety level went up a few more notches. The lady in charge of closing saw us and in the most rude tone ever said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were still in here. We're closed now and all the doors are locked. I guess you'll have to stay here overnight." (Hmmm, I wonder how she was planning on getting out?) That put me over the top. I started crying out of anxiety and frustration about the ornery sales clerk. I've never had a true panic attack, but that is probably the closest I have ever come. Meanwhile my mom lectured the lady about treating customers with respect, and how I already had a phobia about being in a store while it was closing and her comment didn't help, and how between our schedules this was the only time we had to dress shop, and that if they close at 9:00 the doors should not be locked until 9:00 (it was just before 9:00). Basically my mom put her in her place while I trembled and cried. I don't really remember what happened after that, it was all kind of a blur, but I'm pretty sure she let us out the front doors.
Now that I'm an adult and in charge of when I run errands I rarely find myself in a store near closing, but when I do I cope a little better because I know I'm in charge of when I leave. I'm somewhat embarrassed to have written this, but hey, it's part of who I am so I guess you and I both just have to deal with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment