Saturday, January 22, 2011

It was only a matter of time...

I figured it was only a matter of time before the moose made its way to our yard, since it's been spotted plenty of other places around here.  He hung out behind our house most of the day nibbling on tree branches.  Maggie had fun watching it out the window (and since this took place during nap time and she could see it through her window, I didn't even bother trying to get her to take a nap).  At some points it was only 30 feet away from us.  I've seen plenty of moose in my life, but that is the closest I've ever been to one and I got to experience it from the comfort (and safety) of my home :)
I sat on our bed and watched it out our bedroom window.  Jonathan came in after awhile and said, "You think this is pretty amazing, huh?"  I told him about when I was little we spent Thanksgiving in Jackson Hole a few times.  My family would go for drives while there and see moose in people's yards.  I always thought it would be so cool to live somewhere where a moose would wander into your yard...and here I was watching a moose nibble on our trees just outside my window.  So yeah, I did think it was pretty amazing.  There's something about moose that just makes me smile.  They're beautiful, yet kind of goofy looking all at the same time; graceful, yet gangly.    
 

I think Duke enjoyed watching it as much as I did :)
 
Don't mind the background noise...Maggie saw the moose eating the tree so she decided she would try eating our log bed.  She's very imaginative these days (and that's not a bad thing.  I think it's fun to watch her pretend).

Some of the pictures aren't the greatest because I took them through our window, but there's the proof of our Saturday visitor :)
*UPDATE: The moose was still in our yard this morning as we got ready for church.  I kept tabs on its whereabouts all morning so that I could get us loaded into the car without the possibility of getting charged at :)  Now we are home from church and I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it will be back.  We thought it was a female at first, but upon further inspection we're pretty sure it's a young bull.
And I had to include this picture.  Maggie wanted to hang out with Lane in his crib so she climbed in and sat with him.  Notice his blanket...(did I mention I like moose?)
Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

janessa I love moose they are my favorite! In the 6 years jer and I have been together there has never been a time that we dont see a moose when we are in the mountains. I love it!