Monday, October 4, 2010

Birthday Girl

I can't believe my little girl turned two yesterday! It was nice to have a relaxing day with all of us home. We listened to general conference and then went and helped our friends who are moving. Then we invited them over for supper and birthday cake and we watched Maggie open her presents. Maggie seemed to enjoy the whole day (except when we laid her down for a nap and bedtime, which lately, for some reason, is more like war than peaceful shut-eye.)
I had to include this picture because it captures how long and pretty her eyelashes are, and how much fun I have doing her hair when she is willing to hold still. She has always had really long eyelashes and people are always remarking how pretty they are. She really does have the sweetest little face (I know I'm biased, but I think most people agree) and I'm nervous about how many boys are going to be chasing after her when she gets to high school. She is a great helper and has a very fun personality. She can be a bit of a challenge sometimes, but that comes with the role of motherhood. She knows quite a few words and is always making us laugh with the things she comes up with. She has a love-hate relationship with bugs. She likes to watch them buzz around and when she's outside she likes to chase and squish grasshoppers. If there's a bug inside she stops everything she's doing and won't go on with life until we catch the bug in toilet paper and flush it down the toilet. This can be a bit of a challenge since our living room has vaulted ceilings and most of the time the bug is crawling on the highest point of the ceiling where we can't get to it.

I had to make her cake something relatively simple so that I didn't get too overwhelmed or frustrated...Let's just say that I don't remember being this emotional after Maggie was born. I'll be glad when my body (and hormones) are back to normal, but until then I feel like I'm on the verge of an emotional meltdown if I try to do too much at once :) I really enjoyed Elder Uchtdorf's talk about simplicity, it had a lot of content that I needed to hear. So as a result of my need to simplify, she got a square cake with a Shleich horse stuck on top, which also doubled as a birthday gift. I really love the Shleich animal toys. They're so realistic and durable. I just wish they weren't so pricey.

I mentioned that our friends are moving...well they had some rabbits that needed new homes. I convinced Jonathan that we should give Maggie one for her birthday. Being the product of a cattle ranch, he wasn't very fond of the idea. He can't justify owning an animal unless it has a purpose and/or it pays for itself. The cat catches mice, the dog works cattle and is a companion, the horses can be ridden, but what does a rabbit do besides eat and poop? I feel bad now for maybe being a little too insistent on getting her a rabbit, so here's an attempt to justify it: 1. Technically it's a meat rabbit, so if worst comes to worst and we got hungry enough... 2. Maybe Maggie could do 4-H or something with it. If we bred it (our friend has a buck) and sold the bunnies for $15 a piece she could make some decent money (for a two year old) from a free rabbit. 3. Its waste makes great fertilizer and 4. Ok, I'm struggling to come up with a fourth reason, but every little girl loves a bunny, right? :) Maggie's really excited about it though, She even picked it out by herself. So far it doesn't have a name though. She's already great at doing chores with us, so I'm sure she'll enjoy adding a rabbit to the mix of animals to care for.

The rest of her gifts were pretty low-key compared to the rabbit. She got a little tractor, a few books, some fingernail polish, a bubble blower machine, a few bath toys and electric toothbrush from Granddad and Grandma, and $5 from Aunt Lisa.
And last, but not least, I couldn't leave this cute little guy out. Thanks everyone who made Maggie's day extra special :)

Photobucket

3 comments:

Mallory Hanna said...

Happy birthday Maggie! She does have the sweetest little face. And Lane is so precious, love that name too. Elder Uchtdorf's talk was one of my favorites as well:)

Ben and Kelli said...

You have such beautiful children, Janessa! I can hardly believe Maggie is already two, but she's beautiful and looks exactly like you. Good luck with the hormones, I hear they're terrible post-partum! Conference was amazing, you always hear exactly what you need :)

Jill said...

Happy birthday to such a beautiful little gal! Those are some great pictures...I love that hair-do!

And that cake is NOT so simple Janessa, you underestimate your skills there girlie. Jack just turned 4 and threw a boxed cake mix together with some pudding, oreos, and gummy worms and called it dirt cake :)