Wednesday, July 7, 2010

G.I. Joe and Something Lurking in the Crawl Space

I made this cake today for a joint "G.I. Joe" birthday party for two little boys in our ward. The camouflage was an experiment--my hypothesis was that if I mixed different colored blobs of fondant together in a big ball, it would look like camo when I rolled the fondant out. I was really worried my thought would be completely wrong and I'd fail miserably, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I'm not sure if I ever mentioned that the blood thinner I'm on is an injection I have to give myself everyday in the abdomen. I only mention this because when I first started the prescription I wanted someone else to give me the shot everyday; I had a hard time getting the nerve up to poke myself. Ironically, now I am completely opposite. I had a doctor appointment today and had to get a shot and have my blood drawn. Both times I was a bigger wimp with the nurse poking me than I would have been just doing it myself.

There are a few things I'm not particularly fond of. Spiders are toward the top of that list. I really hate to go down in our crawl space for that reason. I've never actually seen spiders down there, but I'm sure they're there. Anyway, it's not a typical "crawl" space...it's more like a stand-up space in the main area with some storage shelves, our water heater, and furnace. But it's still a crawl-space nonetheless. A while ago I brought a 50 pound bag of spuds down there because I knew we wouldn't be eating them all any time soon. I figured it's dark and cool down there and would be the best place in our house to store them. Today I made dutch oven potatoes and only had a few potatoes left in the pantry so I ventured down to the crawl-space to restock my pantry. Imagine my horror when I saw these giant arachnid looking legs sprawling into the opening:

Okay it was just the potatoes, but I was really surprised how much they had sprouted. Needless to say, my pantry is not stocked with any new potatoes. The picture doesn't do it justice--some of those sprouts are probably over four feet long. I guess it wasn't a good place to store them after all, especially since it's going to be really fun getting them out of the crawl space now and into the garbage. Live and learn.
On the bright side, at least they only sprouted instead of rotting. I don't believe there's a smell more repulsive, foul, or offensive than rotten potatoes.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jill said...

Fun cake!! I love that camo fondant...so cool!

And those potatoes are CREEPY! I would have freaked out! pretty sweet how much they grew though.

Hey, I think we need to see a picture of your preggo belly...