Our Relief Society Commemoration dinner was tonight. The committee asked me to make a birthday cake for it. I was really tempted to do something simple, but every time I thought about how I’d like the cake to look, it was anything but simple. I wanted it to represent the history of the Relief Society. I decided that a really impressive cake would drum up more business for myself than a hap-hazard cake. Maybe that was wrong of me to have an ulterior motive, but sometimes it’s nice to have a little extra spending money.


The building on the cake is a replica of Joseph Smith’s Red Brick Store, which is where the Relief Society was organized in 1842. It was to represent the history of the Relief Society. I’m not sure how many people caught that, because a lot of people just kept calling it “the little house.” But that’s okay. Jonathan warned me I was probably having too much trust in everyone knowing their R.S. history.

Are these scriptures, or cake?
I was really happy how well these turned out.
I was a little hesitant to make a book out of cake because I never have, but I wanted to prove to myself I could.
The pages are even dusted with luster dust so they look silver on the edges.
The name on the scriptures is Julie B. Beck to represent the current Relief Society organization.

The gift is obviously to tie it all together for a birthday celebration.
The fondant was a royal pain to work with. I have never had that much trouble with fondant before. So at the time I was wondering why I had gotten myself into such a project. But when it was finished I was really glad I had tackled it the way I had planned. Jonathan asked me if it turned out how I had pictured it. Usually I answer this question “not totally” but this project might have turned out better than I pictured J Thanks for giving me a moment to boast. And I really owe a big thanks to Maggie for being such a good girl that is content playing by herself when Mommy has a big project
The evening was really fun. After we ate we had a preparedness presentation. Then we had an auction for services or goods donated by sisters in the ward. Each good was bought by donating a humanitarian item. Unfortunately I didn't have anything to donate, so I didn't think I'd be able to participate. But the Relief Society had extra "donations" so everyone could participate. I ended up getting some cute hair bows for Maggie, a lesson on coupon shopping, and a voucher for a half hour massage from a lady in our ward who is a masseuse.

My auction items were these cupcakes and a few homemade cards.

4 comments:
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Wow!! I am totally speechless. I got that it was the Red Brick Store. Do you make everything from scratch?
HOLY COW!! That cake is AMAZING Janessa...you most definately deserve to boast a little over your success!
this is seriously un-REAL. honestly, how do you know how to do this? you should start a cake blog with pictures all through the process... seriously. those scriptures are fantastic. i keep staring at them...and enlarging your photo... i don't get how that can be cake. you're so freakin' talented.
There are NO WORDS to describe your cake...stunning, amazing, incredible, unreal, hmmm, nope, can't do it. You are very talented, which we all know. But thanks for sharing. You'll have to give me some pointers. I promise not to steal your business. =)
Post a Comment