Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's Actually Happening...

After roughly four years of talking about going to Florida, we're finally going! There's no backing out now. The tickets are bought. The seats are chosen. The travel plans are being made.

And this couldn't come at a better time. This morning it was -24.

We are so excited to see family and visit the ranch. There's just one tiny little problem. Her name is Maggie. We've never flown with her before. We have a hard time--okay "hard" is an understatement--we have a nearly impossible time keeping her still and entertained for three hours of church. All she ever wants to do is run. She's our own little Energizer Bunny (which I have considered dressing her up as for Halloween.) How are we ever going to keep her entertained (and in our lap) for two 5 hour flights?

I read on the internet that it's best to break the flight down into 20 minute segments and plan a different activity for each segment. Each activity has to occupy the whole 20 minutes and has to be small enough to fit in your carry-on. So, we're looking at 15 segments per flight. I only have seven ideas so far:
  • some suckers
  • snacks that take twenty minutes to eat. She will need to eat an actual meal at least once.
  • sticker book
  • pre-painted water color book and paint brush--you know the kind you just get wet and it paints itself...I wonder if they still make these and if I'll be able to find one. Plus she can "paint" my fingernails with the paint brush.
  • coloring book and crayons
  • pipe cleaners and large beads/cheerios (my sisters swear pipe cleaners and beads keep kids entertained for hours on a flight...we'll see)
  • A few books
Then there's the whole nap issue. Maggie, bless her heart, will only nap in her crib or her carseat. Neither of which will be accompanying us on the plane. So I really highly have my doubts that she will take a nap on the plane, even though it will technically be nap time. If she does nap, that would take care of at least three segments--but I can't plan on it. So we're still looking at 15. 30 if we plan separate activities for the flight home.

Sorry for sounding like a paranoid mother. It's what I do best.

I would appreciate any advice/ideas you have to offer.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Jill said...

I have LOTS of experience traveling with little ones...I will tell you what i have learned, take it for what it's worth!

-invest in a lap DVD player. It will come in handy for the flight and long road trips. don't use a laptop..they are way too big for the small space(I learned that the hard way!) Get a couple red box movies or just grab some from your local library. Get DVD's that are several short episodes instead of one long movie, this will keep her interest longer I promise! My kids like mickey mouse club house or Dora the explorer.

-are you taking your carseat, but planning on checking it? when you go to check your baggage, ask is there are any empty seats...if there are empty seats they will let you bring it on the plane. If you can strap her into the carseat it will make the trip alot better. I have done it with kids on my lap AND with carseats...the flight with carseats was heavenly!

-You might be against this, but I have been assured by two different by two pediatricians that it's ok...Give her 1/2 teaspoon of benadryl right before you board the plane. If she is like my kiddos, she will pass out during take off and sleep for atleast an hour!

-bring plenty of wipes...suckers, fruitsnacks, and treats are a lifesaver, but will make for one sticky gal!

-make sure she has a sucker or bottle during take off so her ears will naturally adjust to the pressure change. A bottle works best, chances are she will fall asleep...especially with a little benadryl in her :)

-I don't know if you have an ipod, but we downloaded tons of animal pictures and animal sounds on ours...it kept jack entertained for about 30 minutes.


Sorry, that was kind of a long comment...good luck!

Kassi said...

You mentioned her being on your lap for all that time. The only time Katie is ever on our lap is during takeoff and landing. She plays at our feet or stands most of the flight. I know it depends on how particular the flight attendants choose to be. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Kelly said...

We've flown with Meredith twice. She did just fine. I'd go the DVD route. Also, if you're going to use Benadryl, do a test run. It makes some kids hyper.

Amy said...

First of all how cool that you are going to Florida, when when??? You'll make it through the flight, I promise......just think of the fun you will be having and that can help you get through anything right. It sounds like you already have a lot of great ideas, good luck girl! So excited for you guys!

Kristy said...

most definitely benadryl. depending on what she weighs. Myles weighs 28 lbs and takes 1 tsp. Lots of her favorite books, but not the heavy ones.

Finger puppets. Do you have a felt board? That will work too. Good luck. It wasn't that bad. We flew to Florida and back when Myles was 17 months and it was great. No problems and he rode on our laps.

Kristy said...

oh and yes. IGNORE THE RUDE PASSENGERS! They've all been kids once, but they seem to have forgotten. Don't let them stress you out because it will get Maggie a little tense as well.

HAVE FUN!