Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Maggie!



As cliche as this is going to sound, this year has absolutely flown by. I can't believe our baby is already one!


I wish I could think of something eloquent to say about motherhood, but the experience can't easily be put to words. I can't honestly say that I've enjoyed every minute of it. Being a mom is a lot of exhausting work and sometimes it's hard to see the rewards for it. There are minutes that I wonder what I've gotten myself into; minutes that I just want to cry because I have no idea what I'm doing. There have been minutes that I did cry because I had no idea what I was doing. But there has also been many times that I did not know my heart could be so full of love. Times I've cried just for this sweet blessing. Moments when I just wanted time to stop so I never had to face the reality of her growing up. So although it's easy to get tangled up in feelings of frustration and doubt, those feelings are miraculously wiped away with just one smile, giggle, or hug. Those precious moments are what makes it all worth it. I would not trade this stage of my life for anything. Being a mom is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.


President Hinckley once quoted one of my favorite quotes and it's much more eloquent than I could ever hope to be:

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. Most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
-Jenkins Lloyd Jones


I made the above slide show to celebrate Maggie's big day. The music it is set to is "Little Pearl's Song" by Clint Black (push pause on the other music player). My sister Julieanne first introduced me to this song about five or six years ago. I have absolutely loved it ever since.


We were about 99% positive we were going to name our little girl Maggie, so imagine my surprise when I looked up the meaning of her name after her birth and found out that it means pearl. So here's to you Little Pearl, it's been a wonderful year!

The rest of her birthday festivities will be posted later.

2 comments:

kharris said...

Janessa I loved the slide show and the song is perfect. I can't believe how quickly they grow up. Hope Maggie has a wonderful birthday!

Kassi said...

What a beautiful video. I really did tear up. She is such a beautiful girl. Your words were touching and I thought you were very eloquent!