I'm still a little worried I'm getting my hopes up, so I'm going to be cautious about what I write here. If there's one thing I've learned in this whole process it's that things are constantly changing, so you can't plan on anything definitely until it's 100% final.
With that being said, we made an offer on a house that we both really like. We received the counter offer and we accepted it. So now as long as the whole lending process goes as planned we'll be in a house by no later than the end of July--we're shooting for July 25. Then when everything is all said and done and 100% final I'll give you all a few more details and pictures when we move in.
Some of you have asked me for advice because you are going to be in our shoes soon. The best advice I can give you is to be patient. It is a long, slow, and trying process. I would walk through a lot of houses so you are positive what you really want, and need, for that matter. It was interesting to see how our "needs" changed as we went through the process. We walked through houses that we didn't think we'd be interested in, just to make sure we really weren't. Most of them we were right about; however, the house we decided on was one that our realtor added to our list of "must sees." We didn't think we were interested in it when we saw the listing ad for it, so I'm glad he walked us through it since it's the house we decided on. You've heard the saying, "don't judge a book by its cover." Well, I'd say, "Don't judge a house by its curb appeal or pictures online."
After you walk through so many houses you'll start to get an idea of what is priced right and what is over-priced. I'd also recommend picking a realtor that you feel comfortable around, because you'll be spending a lot of time together. Ask around, you'll be surprised how many people have a referral to a good realtor. And last but not least, if you feel the timing is right I'd find a home as soon as possible because interest rates are going back up and you only have until the end of November (I think) to receive the First Time Home Buyers Tax Credit.
We've heard if you're buying a house in Utah you get $6,000 in stimulus money from the state in addition to your $8,000 federal stimulus money. Some lenders will let you use that money toward your down payment or closing costs, but some won't. Also, if you decide you want that money before you receive next years tax return, you can amend your taxes from this year and receive it in roughly a month. There really are a lot of good options for first time home buyers, I would just be cautious with the price of some homes. A lot of people (at least here) still have their home priced too high because they either have high hopes or still owe that much on it. So even though the market is supposed to be low, that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get a good deal on any house you look at. I hope that helps...I wish we would have known some of that before we started looking for a house. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed for us. :)
2 comments:
I am way excited for you!
I had hoped that Travis and I would qualify because it said you couldn't have purchased a home within the last three years and we bought ours 3.5 years ago, but you have to have been renting for the past three years, lame.
I hope it all works out...I wanna see some pictures of the house. GOOD LUCK!!!
Post a Comment