Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Excuse me While I Stand on a Soapbox...

I received this in my e-mail this morning (thanks Jamie). Yes it's funny, but at the same time I am constantly amazed at how many people don't understand where their food comes from. I feel so passionate about educating people on this subject. Maybe it's because I'm involved in agriculture...I don't know.

I guess I get a little irked about this because so many people look down on farmers and think of them as poorly-educated-low-lives that couldn't make a living any other way. In reality though, agriculture is one of the most technologically advanced fields. A farmer has to be educated in many different areas to be successful. They're a biologist as they understand how their crops grow, a computer programmer as they program their pivots and GPS units, a mechanic as they fix machinery, a veterinarian so they can care for sick animals, a soil scientist, a forecaster so they can predict when the weather will cooperate with their operations, a chemist as they calculate the elemental needs of their crops, a marketer so they can get the most for their commodity, etc. We owe a lot to the farmers across America and the world. If you've eaten today and you're wearing clothes then chances are you owe them some thanks.

Our church leaders have been very inspired in telling us to plant a garden. It helps us be more self-sufficient, makes us thankful for a harvest, brings us closer to Heavenly Father by seeing what he has created for us, and it helps us realize where our food comes from.

This is a letter I wrote to the editor of the school newspaper while I was in college, if you care to read more. I feel better now :) I really don't know why I get so worked up over this. Sorry.

Before I graduate I’d like to leave a few parting words with my fellow students; please understand and appreciate what you have. I have been amazed during my tenure here at the lack of understanding and appreciation the majority of the students have concerning agriculture. I have even heard one student remark that agriculture students don’t deserve Smart Grants because agriculture is not a science. We live in a very blessed area of the world that allows the pursuit of any career because our agriculturalists are efficient enough to provide food for everyone. Citizens in many other parts of the world are too occupied with producing their own food to be able to pursue anything else. I’m grateful for students studying areas such as accounting, law, biology, and education because our society needs them. Please, just realize that agriculture is needed too. After all, if you’ve eaten today you owe some thanks to those who produced your food. So, stop giving dirty looks at the students wearing Wranglers and cowboy boots, they are making your future career possible.

3 comments:

The Little's said...

Love it. That is what Dwight thought too. He said forward this to all of the contacts that are involved in ag. So we did. I am glad that you feel the same way. That was a really good article that you wrote too.

Kristy said...

What an IDIOT to actually write that in a newspaper. COME ON PEOPLE!

Anyway, I am amazed at how many people don't realize what HARD work agriculture is. In fact, it has got to be the hardest work out there. I think farmers are some of the smartest people and maybe if they were to run our country we would be doing a little better. Farmers don't get vacation, care about the wellbeing of others, and show respect to the land. We need those qualities in more people.

Amy said...

This is great Janessa, you are absolutely RIGHT!!! Thanks for the heads up and I have to say that I do appreciate all of your hard work because I know that it is. I loved your letter when you were in college! Good job!