Friday, December 5, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend


I can't find the words to fill this post because I'm afraid it will sound insensitive. Yesterday we put Connie down. She was one of my first horses and she taught me a lot. I don't want to paint a false image of her; she wasn't the world's greatest horse. She was a typical mare--sometimes moody and stubborn, but I loved her. Despite her shortcomings she offered a lot of lessons, like patience, selflessness, and responsibility. She was almost 27 years old and old age was taking its toll on her. I knew this day would come sooner than I wanted and it was hard to do, but I didn't feel comfortable with having her suffer. She had lost a lot of her teeth and had become pretty emaciated, despite a high energy diet. We knew winter would be rough on her and we didn't feel like it was humane to put her through it. I guess it was the best option, but sometimes the best options in life aren't the easiest. As I said my goodbyes I told her she was going somewhere where the grass was belly deep and her joints would be young again. I snipped a piece of her mane off so I had something to remember her by, and that is the last memory I'll have of her. Goodbye old friend and thanks for the lessons.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I am sorry about your horse Janessa. I know how much you love animals so I understand how hard this probably is for you...If it's any consolation, I think you did the right thing by putting her down, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but hopefully now you have some peace of mind. take care!

beccandjp said...

Janessa I am so sorry that you had to put your horse down...i know that loosing a good herse if such a HARD thing! When I had to let go of my first horse is was one of the hardest things i have done! Even the moody mares leave wonderfull impressions on us!! Thanks for sharing.

Kristy said...

It's always a hard thing to put an animal down, but Heavenly Father put them in our loving care and we have to do what is best.