Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sorry for the lack of posts, we've been busy playing!

Too much to blog, too little time! My brain is already half-asleep so please disregard any typos.  Here's my attempt to catch up :)
The horses knocked down the chain-link panel protecting my garden and cleared out my corn :(
I had a wedding cake order a few weeks ago, this is it before the final details.
I had fun playing around with the look until I put the real finishing touches on.
I teach the 15 year olds in Sunday school now.  Our lesson was on wars and rumors of wars in the Book of Mormon and how it applies to us.  I put a sticker on the globe of each country that is involved in a war of some sort or another and had them guess what the stickers represented.  The stickers ended up covering 30% of the world.  YIKES!
 The finished cake.
Please pay no attention to how loose her car seat is.  This was her first time wearing this dress and it has a hood attached.  She said to Jonathan, "look Daddy, my dress has a helmet to protect my head from the sun."
 Running to meet Daddy at the end of the driveway so we could go pick up some cows with him.
 This kid is trouble!  He uses the handles on the drawers like a ladder to climb up on the counter and no matter what punishment he receives it doesn't sink in that this is a major no-no.  What's a mother to do?  He is a climber and has no fear, which puts a lot of fear in me.  I came in this day to him throwing cereal on the floor to Maggie, who was trying to catch it in her mouth.  Sigh.
 We met some family at Hogle Zoo for a fun day, and it was a fun day.

 The otters were one of my favorites.


 Cousins :)
 When it was time to go, Lane ran and hid behind a tree.

 I had to peel her off the carousel.
 Cousins watching the main attraction.  This is the best polar bear ever!  I could've stayed and watched him all day!

One of the best parts about the end of summer :)  Most of the corn I've had this year has left a lot to be desired though, and since the horses at all my corn I didn't get any put up :(
 We got our first egg!  It was tiny and they're still very sporadic, but at least one chicken is laying now.
 Future fireman.



 The cousin line-up.
 Lane taking a "seat" to play with the Legos.
 The cake I made for our nephew's birthday.  He had a dog party which turned out really cute!
Maggie's first time with a pinata; she wasn't too sure about hitting the dog.
 The birthday boy :)
Maggie loved pulling the kids around in this wagon.
 Leg of dog, anyone?
 Poor puppy.
When it was time to leave, I told Maggie to give everyone a hug.  After she had, she ran and hugged our car.  What a goof!
My sister Lori was in town from Minnesota.  Somehow I didn't end up with any pictures with her, they're all on someone else's camera.  We went and visited her friends, who breed Saint Bernards and are one of the top breeders in the nation.  They have twenty something adults and a lot of puppies!  All I could think about is how much their dog food budget must be each month.  The puppies sure were cute though :)
 Why is every picture of him hiding from me?  I'm starting to wonder how he really feels about me.
 We finally got some rain!


Maggie's little drawings still astound me for her age.  I know every parent thinks their child is a genius, but I really wonder if every three-almost-four-year-old can draw as well as her.  This is her drawing of a dresser.  Exciting subject matter, huh?
I, sniff, sewed Maggie this backpack, because she, sniff, started preschool, sniff. I'm in denial she's already to that point.  I told Jonathan that this is just the beginning of me carpooling kids from here to there and I have a feeling it won't end for a long long time...
For my birthday I wanted to go to the Soldier Hollow Classic sheepdog trials because a) I've always wanted to go b) the tickets are much more affordable than they used to be c) we live in that neck of the woods now and d) I've always wanted to go.  I know I already said that, I just wanted to make sure I was clear.  This picture is of the Splash Dogs competition.  Look close and you can see the dog jumping.  Maybe next year I'll enter Duke.  I think he would do fairly well at it :)
 My sweet friend brought me this cute birthday cake.  Thanks Kristen!
 Maggie's preschool pictures.

 I used to ride in the swather with Jonathan, but then someone cuter came along and stole my spot :)
Moving some cows.
I love the evening light!
 Hunting season is here...that could probably be another blog post though.
I went to the Brigham City Temple open house with my parents-in-law.  I didn't take any pictures of us outside, but it is a beautiful temple.  I picked up some peaches on the way home, which have been occupying my time and taste-buds.
 "Look, I made an H!"

 More Splash Dogs...

 It amazes me how much control the handlers have over their dogs, and how the dogs can interpret the different pitches of a whistle and obey from so far away.   These are some smart, smart dogs!  I wonder if we could ever get Duke trained remotely close to how well trained these dogs are?
Go South Africa!  We were cheering for him, but sadly his sheep didn't get in the pen in time (they are not very smart animals, especially in contrast to the border collies).  I guess this guy is one of the top sheep dog trainers in the world though, we just saw a bad run.  My theory is that his Border Collie must have had doggy jet lag from coming all the way from South Africa; he ran a little slower than the others.
This is Don, which is apparently a popular name for a sheep dog because he wasn't the only dog named Don.
I wish we could have stayed longer, but Jonathan had things to attend to.  I'll gladly go again next year if anyone wants to come with.
Again, sheep are not very bright animals.  I'd like the see the same trial run with some cows and well trained cow dogs.
 Maggie and Lane both petted this skunk.  Maggie wasn't too sure about it though.


Yesterday while eating lunch, Maggie had a concerned look on her face and was very quiet.  When I asked her if everything was ok, she said, "yeah, I'm just trying to figure out when I should get married."  Oh boy!

My Aunt Jeri and Uncle Ken came to visit.  They're pretty much the only family from my mom's side that I know some-what well.  It's been 11 years since I last saw them and Jonathan's never met them, so it was nice to have them stop by on their way to visit family.  

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but this is all I have time for.  Hopefully I'll start doing better at blogging regularly so I don't get overwhelmed again :)  

Photobucket

1 comment:

Kirsten Hinck said...

I was at the sheep dog festival! and i held the skunk :) Your family is so cute and growing up so fast!