Monday, March 21, 2011

Memory Monday: I Can See Clearly Now

My last post reminded me about the last time we traveled through Oregon so I guess it's as good of a Memory Monday as anything.

The roads were terrible.  To top it off, the route we planned to John Day from Pendleton was actually a windy forest road instead of a highway like we had anticipated.  It took us forever to get through it and I swore I wouldn't care if I never saw another pine tree in my life.  My window had been covered in the residual dirt from traveling through slush and mud the entire day.  It was driving me crazy that I couldn't see anything.

The gas stations in Oregon, by law, are all full service.  They pump your fuel and wash your windows for you.  At least, they wash half your windows for you.

Every attendant at the pump would wash our windows while the tank was being filled. They'd wash Jonathan's first, then they'd spend a good amount of time on the windshield.  The pump would click, signalling that the tank was full so they'd hop down and walk over to it, top it off, print the receipt, hand it to Jonathan, say thanks, and head back into the store.  Without washing my window.  Every time, no fail.  Jonathan even kindly asked if they'd wash the windows, pointing at mine for extra emphasis.  Still it didn't happen.  It's not like it looked clean so they skipped over it; on the contrary! A few times it was the only window that was dirty and they still washed the others instead!  It was blatantly obvious that it was beyond dirty.  I think we drove through the whole state of Oregon without my window ever being washed.  We didn't want to offend them by doing it ourselves, or by saying they missed a spot, so we just traveled on and hoped the next station would take care of it.  By the time we got to California where I could get out and do it myself, it was dark and didn't really matter anymore, but at least I could see clearly on the way home!

One more thing; if a gas station is required by law to be full service, do they expect a tip when they finish fueling you up?  I'd say no, but I'll feel bad if we didn't tip anyone when we should have.

      Photobucket

1 comment:

The Hammonds said...

I miss you guys!! Would your kids stop growing up so fast?!?!? I hope we get to see you soon. Have fun delivering bulls!