So here we are with a new kitten to replace Duchess. She doesn't have a name yet...what is the sister of a Duchess called?
Yesterday morning it was -25 degrees. I would have liked to stay inside all day, but we had an appointment for Lane's shots. He's running a bit of a fever now, but I know that's fairly normal so I'm not too concerned. I really don't like to watch my babies get poked, but I know it's for the best. He did really well, he even smiled at the nurses once they were done. They were glad to know he forgave them :)
I've been reading this book about the science/chemistry of baking. Alton Brown actually annoys me when I've seen him on TV, but he knows his stuff and I've learned quite a bit from his book. It's okay if that makes me a nerd. I find it interesting to know how common ingredients react with each other, and how/why gluten formation can be your friend or enemy. My college chemistry courses would have been way more interesting if my teachers would have applied their lectures to baking :) I even learned a few things that I probably should have learned from my farmer husband instead. For example, (I'm embarrassed to admit this) I thought hard and soft wheat was referring to the strength of the kernel, not the protein content of said wheat. Anyway, if I dare say, the book has made me a better baker. If you'll allow me to toot my own horn, yesterday I made the best bread that I have ever made (and that I've ever eaten). I have two bread recipes that I use. One makes a very light and fluffy loaf suitable for sandwiches, but it doesn't have a lot of taste to it. The other recipe is my mother-in-law's. It is really good bread with nice flavor, I've just never been able to get it as light and fluffy as the other. Since it's more crumbly it doesn't work as well for sandwiches and is better suited for toast or eating plain...until now. I created the best of both worlds and I'm very pleased with myself. Now I'm excited to go apply everything else I learned :)

3 comments:
So what is the book called? i would love to get my hands on it!
I have "Joy of baking" which is something similar, but it's like 700 pages and honestly, a little hard to get through.
Oh, and as usual, Maggies is an absolute doll. I can see so much of you in her...adorable!
Sorry Jill, I made it a link to Amazon, but the link was the same color as the text so you couldn't tell it was a link. I guess a picture is a lot easier :) Anyway, it's Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for More Food." I'm on hold for his first book "I'm Just Here for the Food." which is about cooking instead of baking.
I also checked out the Joy of Cooking...I haven't seen The Joy of Baking though. I'll have to look for that one. The problem with checking cook books out from the library is that three weeks isn't enough time to try all the recipes I want to. On the upside though it lets me try a cookbook before I buy it.
Ooh, do share your bread recipe. I'm always on the lookout for standby recipes for things. Bread is always a staple recipe.
Post a Comment