Jonathan's brother, Don, got hitched on Friday and I was honored to make their wedding cake for them. It was a really fun cake to make and I have to admit I'm a tad jealous that my wedding cake didn't look like this :) My mother-in-law made the comment along the lines, "I've never heard so many men make remarks about the wedding cake at a reception." I guess it was a hit among the menfolk since it wasn't flowery and overly feminine like most wedding cakes. Enough about the cake though. I always feel like I'm bragging when I share my cakes on here, which is not what I intent to do.
I'm kicking myself that I didn't take any pictures of the reception or bride and groom. They really do make a cute couple and the reception was set up very cute as well. I'll have to steal some pictures from someone else.
We're all excited to have Heather in the family, but Maggie just might be the most excited. I felt really terrible that Maggie would not leave them alone on their big day. At the luncheon she did NOT want Jonathan or I. Instead she just wanted Heather or Don to hold her. I kept trying to explain to her that it was a special day for them and that she needed to let them enjoy it without her bothering them, but it was to no avail. Maggie kept sneaking away from me, and Heather was too nice to not hold Maggie. I'm not sure what kind of candy Heather stocks her pockets with, but it has sure won Maggie over ;)
I'm going to go off on a complete tangent now that I'm done talking about the wedding. It really should be a separate post, but I'm too lazy to write two separate posts, so here goes.
Every once in a while I see a young mom trying to keep her kids under control while she finishes up her grocery shopping or other errands. You know the type I'm talking about; she's trying not to cause a scene and you can tell she's at the end of her rope. You think you can either see tears beginning to form or a vein beginning to pop, depending on her personality.
I have a selfish streak, so first I smile to myself and think, "I'm glad that's not me; not today at least." Then I frown and feel bad for her because I have been in her position multiple times. I know how hard it is. I know how many people look your direction, some even making comments like, "looks like you have your hands full!" Then I offer a little silent prayer for her that she can finish her errands with her sanity (and her kids) still in one piece.
Some days, like last Monday, I offer that same prayer for myself, because I am now in her position, and I'm not smiling to myself anymore. I'm often amazed how little respect some people have for motherhood. I know it's the adversary trying to get me down, but it still amazes me--especially in a family oriented community.
So you're probably wondering what sparked all of this. I was at the library, ironically trying to hurry and find a book that had been recommended to me about calming fussy babies. Lane started crying. Maggie was trying to pull books off the shelf and got mad when I told her no--then she wanted to be held. With one hand I was trying to put Lane's binky in his mouth. With the other hand I was trying to peel Maggie off of me and pull the book off the shelf.
Up walks the librarian, who granted was just doing her job, and says, "You know we have a mothers' room?"
I smile and say, "Oh. That's good to know for the future (since I now have my book in hand). Where is it?"
"It's just inside the women's restroom."
If she would have stopped there I wouldn't have been as annoyed. But then she went on to say, "We're trying to keep this end of the library quiet."
Maybe it was her tone of voice, or the way she made it sound like I didn't know you were supposed to be quiet in a library, but I was starting to get a little irked. Sometimes babies cry. I had not control over it. But what really got me is that then she practically herded me into the bathroom. I had my book. I was ready to leave that secion of the library. But as I stood up she walked to to the bathroom door, opened it, motioned to me and said, "right in here."
I felt like I had no option except to go in. So in I went. I sat down on the rocker, let Maggie look at a book about panda bears that she had pulled off the shelf, took a few deep breaths, and offered that quick little prayer that finds its way to my tongue so often--this time for myself.

2 comments:
I appreciate those thoughts on respecting motherhood and I need to do better myself. It sort of shocks me how quick people are to judge a mother whose kids are fussy, if anything she should have a million people offering to help her and thanking her for JUST being a mother. I love how you say a prayer, that makes me want to do the same.
And I most definitely think we dealt with the same librarian, and there is more than one that I've had issues with. They really anger me sometimes. I think I will pose a formal complaint soon or confront them.
Anyway, thank you for the thoughtful post.
Some people are mean. Ya, the nice thing to do would be to hand something to Maggie to play with, or offer to hold Lane while you got done what you needed to get done. I'm sorry. I didn't realize how weird/selfish some people are in that area until I moved here. It's a whole new world here. There are wonderful people everywhere, but it just seems like people here go out of their way to help you and they take care of you. It's not something I saw everyday there. Also, I never hear people talking bad about other people. Move to ND! :)
Post a Comment