Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Fun Family Filled Friday (and Saturday and Sunday too)

Over the weekend we ventured south for a few fun and family filled days. It was the first time Jonathan's parent's have had all of their kids home during the same weekend for at least five years. We also saw most of my siblings over the weekend because my sister Lori was in town from Minnesota--it was also the first time in a while that my parents saw all of their children in the same weekend. More on that later.

The weekend started out by going to That Famous Preston Night Rodeo. I really look forward to the rodeo every year. To me it's the epitome of summer--that, and summer thunderstorms, huckleberries, and the smell of fresh cut alfalfa.

The rodeo was fun as usual, but it wasn't the best one I've ever been to. I'm not sure why I didn't think to bring the camera. Sorry there are no pictures to prove we were there.

On Saturday we mostly just hung out. All of the cousins made tie-dye shirts during the afternoon. Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of all of them wearing them together because the dye had to set for 6-8 hours and we ran out of time. I did get a picture of Maggie in hers though once we got home. She can make quite the cheesy faces when I tell her to smile.
Since my sister was in town we arranged to meet my family half-way so that we could all get together for dinner. We were going to eat at Maddox Ranch House, but we all decided on Wingers at the last minute. Most of my siblings and their spouses were able to make it. We missed those who weren't able to come. Since it's hard to carry on conversations when you're in a big group in a restaurant we were going to go to a park afterwards. When we got done eating, a storm had rolled in and ruined that plan though. So we all said our goodbyes through the windows of our vehicles in the parking lot of a car dealership. I felt bad that we weren't together for very long, but at least we were able to see each other.

On the drive back we saw three moose; two cows and a yearling bull with velvet antlers. I love seeing moose! We also saw a really pretty rainbow, which at one point was directly over the Logan temple. My attempt at a picture failed though. In the back seat we saw a happy little girl who was modeling her butterfly sunglasses.

We were able to meet up with Jonathan's friend, Ben, and his wife and kids for a few minutes. We met them in a church parking lot. I stayed in the truck with the window down and they talked by my passenger door. Maggie was happy to be out of her car seat. She played in the truck by me while we all talked. Maggie ended up pulling out the cigarette lighter and burning her thumb. She cried and cried and I felt like one terrible mom (and still do)! I know it was an accident, but I should have kept a closer eye on her.

On Sunday we went to church, came home and ate lunch, and then packed up and headed home.
We were able to get some pasture across the street from our house, so we brought our horses back with us. Maggie enjoys having them within walking distance and so do I :)

Why won't anyone keep a straight face when I try to take a picture?

2 comments:

Jess said...

cute. love those pictures.

Anonymous said...

HAHA! Love the pictures and how they are not straight faced! Sounds like an awesome weekend. Wish we could have seen you at the family party!