Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Out of the Woods...Or at least at the Edge of the Woods

The last few days have been a real doozy! Sorry this post only has a few pictures, but trust me when I tell you that you don't want to see pictures from our last few days. All three of us had the flu from...well, I'll let you fill in the blank. Honestly though, it was that bad! We had to call in reinforcements because Jonathan and I could barely take care of ourselves, and Maggie was needing our attention too. We kind of felt like wimps, but honestly we didn't know if we were going to make it out alive. Luckily Jonathan's parents were willing to drive a few hours (and risk getting sick) to come rescue us. (Thanks again!) At this point we thought Maggie was on the mend, so we had them watch and play with her while we recuperated.

Have I ever mentioned that Maggie is constantly on the move? Well, apparently even the flu doesn't stop her. We kept thinking she was over it because she still had a ton of energy and just wanted to play. Plus she never really had a fever. So Maggie just ran around all day Sunday with Grandma and Grandpa while we were in bed. She still didn't have much of an appetite, but she had gone quite awhile without throwing up. So we weren't too worried about her.

Until Monday morning. We felt most of the way better, but Maggie was really lethargic and started throwing up a lot more often (including in the car on the way to the doctor's office--that was a really unpleasant situation. Luckily I had planned ahead and brought a change of clothes just in case.) Sorry if I'm grossing you out. I'm not sure why I'm writing all this, besides it's been our reality the last few days.

The doctor checked Maggie first. Her temperature was only 98. Her blood counts were pretty much normal, but obviously something was wrong. He called in a prescription that would help her keep food down and calm her stomach--which it has thank goodness. He told us a really nasty flu bug has been going around and that we needed to keep her on clear fluids the rest of the day and then start her on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) until she was better. If she wasn't better by 2:00 today we needed to bring her back in.

Then the doctor checked me. I was due for another prenatal visit anyway and I was a little worried about the baby since I had been so sick and hadn't been eating anything. In fact I weighed a pound less at this appointment than I did at my very first visit. And I'm 18 weeks now. Yikes! I was really reassured to hear the heartbeat though and have him tell me everything was fine. I was a [subtle] emotional wreck...probably mostly because of what had happened in the car on the way there and probably also since I'm pregnant and have the tear ducts of a fire hose. Jonathan didn't notice that I started crying about three different times at the doctor's office, but I felt like I was barely keeping it together.

I think we're finally out of the woods now. Maggie might only be at the edge of the forest, but I think she'll be back to her normal self soon. I'm still a little worried about her getting dehydrated because she isn't wanting to drink very much. It breaks my heart to see her sick. She's a trooper though.

On a sidenote...

We didn't have any bananas so I ran to the store last night after I laid Maggie down. I almost started crying (again) when this is what I saw:
Apparently the store had a promotion on cereal and bananas and EVERY last banana was sold out except the little one you see on the end, which had an ugly split down the peel.

Then at Wal-mart I saw this "rollback" tag. At first I thought I was just delusional. What makes it even better is that I had just had a conversation with Jonathan about how sometimes if you peel up the rollback tag the pre-sale price is the same as the rollback price. It's almost like they just stick rollback stickers up to make you think things are on sale when they're really not. I have never seen a rollback like this before though! And yes, both prices are for the exact same item.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kristy said...

oh man, I'm so sorry you guys have been so sick. That sounds awful. I hope things continue to look up.

Ainsley said...

oh, i totally feel for you...i have also had one of those weeks. good luck with the banana hunt :).