Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What to Say?

I'm trying to think of something interesting to write about, but there's really not a whole lot to say. Maggie's in bed and Jonathan's farming, which leaves me lonely and bored. I need something to occupy my time, so I guess this is it. Bear with me.


We're all sick. It started with Maggie, at least that's what I think. I hope she doesn't mind me blaming it on her. She had a runny nose and was really fussy for a few days. I didn't think too much about it because I blame everything on teething. Fast forward a few days. I woke up with a terrible sore throat. The next day my throat was raw and I was congested, achy, and feverish. That is an awful combination when you have a little one to chase around all day. No wonder Maggie was fussy. I'll admit she was tougher than me though. I am a wimp when I'm sick. Today I am doing much better, but it looks like Jonathan is just getting to the brunt of this sickness. At least it's only really miserable for a day or two.


I mentioned Jonathan is farming. That might have confused some of you since his current job description only includes selling farm equipment, not farming with it. He has a friend that owns a custom farming business. They're a little behind with fall work and Jonathan misses being in a tractor so he is helping them catch up. He gets home from work around 5:15, gets a quick bite to eat, and then he's out the door again to farm until midnight. I know every wife says this, but my husband is the hardest working man I know. There have been lots of days since I've known him that he has worked 18+ hour days without a complaint. Anyway, the tractor he's running looks something like this...

It is one serious piece of machinery.

There are two different garbage collection companies that serve our area. One is about $5 cheaper and the majority of the area deals with them. No one seems to have any complaints except us. We have had their "service" for almost 2 months now and our trash has only ever been picked up three times, and I think two of the times was because we called and told them they missed us so they came back. When we've called to complain they always have a new excuse. "Sir, your house doesn't have a house number on it." (which it does). "Sir, your trash can isn't visible enough." (it's practically in the road and it's bright red). I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when you're paying for something this kind of customer service is really aggravating. Here's the condensed version of yesterday's conversation:

Jonathan: "Our garbage never got picked up again."

Receptionist Lady: "You didn't have your garbage can out by 7 am"

Jonathan: "Ma'am, I leave for work at 6:30 on Tuesday mornings and roll it out before I leave. I know for a fact that it was out before 7 am."

Receptionist Lady: "Our driver took a picture of your house to prove that your can wasn't out."

Jonathan: "Then he has the wrong house because it was out."

Receptionist Lady: "Well he has a picture of it."

Jonathan: "I'd like to see the picture, because I guarantee he has the wrong house. I can e-mail you a picture of our house if you need to compare."

Receptionist Lady: "Well the picture's on his cell phone, but I'll see if I can e-mail it to you."

Jonathan: "I'd like that. I don't understand why we keep getting skipped. Do I need to put our can somewhere else? I put it exactly where they dropped it off at."

Receptionist Lady: "Well we use alternate drivers, and that's when we have problems."

Jonathan: "You just admitted it was your driver's fault so why were you blaming it on me?"

Receptionist Lady: "I'm sorry. I'll talk to our drivers again and I'll give you a month's credit. We'll come swap your can out tomorrow so you can have an empty one."

Jonathan: "Okay. I'll give you one more chance before we switch to the other company.

So far the picture has not been e-mailed and our can has not been swapped. I have a feeling we'll be switching companies after our one month credit is up.

Hmm, I think I've killed enough time now. Thanks for bearing with me through all of that.

3 comments:

Jill said...

ugh. I hate stupid companies, and I hate stupid sore throats! Maybe every tuesday morning you should email them a picture of your garbage can in front of your house so they will remember :)

Good luck with everything...hoepfully you will all be feeling better and having having your trash picked up in no time!

Anonymous said...

WOW. What a pain in the bum trash company. GEEZ!

I am so sorry you and your family are sick! I hate being sick, well probably everyone does. I hope you are well taken care of!

Kassi said...

Sorry about your trash-pick-up problem. We are all sick here too! I did the same thing and blamed it on teething. I am sorry and I am glad you are feeling better today too!